Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Black Pearl: Johnny Depp Not Included

The Black Pearl- Newport, Rhode Island. Not Pirates of the Caribbean, but that was the end of my day.

The beginning of my day started out in Boston (home) where I set out on an hour and half long drive to Newport, Rhode Island (not home). As a belated birthday gift I was being taken to the Newport mansions. Talk about MANSIONS. These are the type of places I picture when I read books about wealthy estates in 18-19th century England and France, granted most of the homes I saw were trying to live up to the French elite. Since I wasn't allowed to take photos inside, google that shit because I don't feel like uploading what photos I do have from my cell phone. Maybe later. Mansions I saw: The Elms, The Breakers, Rosecliff, and Marble House. It's amazing the pointless shit people do with their money. I'd have no use for a home so large but if I would choose one to live in, it would be the Elms...the Breakers is so PLUSH it's pretty much tacky. The idea of sliding down the velvet covered stairs on serving trays was pretty appealing though, something the Vanderbilt children did at one time on the same stairs. There wasn't enough time for another home but 5 mansions for three adults: $93.00. Glad I wasn't paying.

Once the wall of fog rolled in, pretty solid in usual Rhode Island fashion, we set out to the wharf in hopes of eating and finding the Black Pearl. I had never eaten there before but my company was out to kill until that restaurant was found. Apparently they liked it. I won't lie, I fucking loved it there- just not the bill. We didn't sit on the fancy side, the tavern works for me. Small, dark, noisy as fuck...but the waitresses remember everything without paper, always refill your drinks, and make sure you're as comfortable as possible. As I was told I could order anything I wanted, I did; Appetizer: Simple garlic bread in fancy circles, Entree: Filet Mignon, butterfly cut, Dessert: Cheese and Fresh Fruit (fucking nasty cheese, probably expensive). All in all, bill including tip. $194.00. Now that may not be expensive to some big city spenders, and I'm from the big city, but I'm no big spender and I was sick at the sight of it...Even though I wasn't paying.

I got sick, once again, later on when I walked into a music shop and came across some amazing vinyl records that I would have bought on the spot if I had a record player. I bought Give 'Em the Boot 1, 2, and 5 on CD since I owned 3 & 4 and they were about 5 bucks each. All in all, a $300 dollar day that kind of makes me want to vomit but was an amazing time that I will always remember for the people and places I saw.

That was it, that was my Wednesday. There was a lot more to it but that could take a bunch of posts and this one was difficult enough for me to get up.

Keep an eye out for record players for me: preferably in decent condition or decently priced and not in terrible condition. Needed.

Until next time,

Get your hands dirty
Love
-Napalm

1 comment:

Social_Treason said...

Ha ha very nice. Does sound like a good day. I can see myself going there with Ian and having it turn into a Three Stooges short (if we had a third that is). I'll keep my eye out for a record player sweets.